In my last article on using scenario planning to build an adaptive capacity I mentioned the research we undertook with executives on building resilience within critical infrastructure and the value of change management in executing strategy.
In uncovering the most current issues and thinking in these areas the research found that, for some organisations, there has been a convergence of issues raised as:
- a resilient organisation has been described as one that has an adaptive capacity to deal with change and;
- organisations looking to improve the change management aspects of executing strategy are seeking to build greater resilience in their people, specifically in leading and responding well to change.
Developing ‘critical thinking’ within teams
One of the main approaches Janellis take in helping organisations build their resilience and adaptive capacity is to enhance and develop critical thinking skills. The tool that we use to embed and enable team based critical thinking is our executive decision support tool.
The tool has been designed to enable critical thinking during times of high pressure and scrutiny to: ‘cut through’ conflicting or incomplete information; understand priorities; assess impacts across key areas; make decisions; allocate tasks and to communicate effectively to a full range of identified stakeholders.
The tool allows teams to be agile and adaptive and to demonstrate resilience in the face of rapid and disruptive change.
Teams who have been using the tool for many years have intuitively used this capability in other areas such as running major transformation projects, steering committee meetings and responding to significant regulatory changes.
Most successful leaders are already following this critical thinking process in an intuitive way, at a personal level. Using the tool enables critical thinking capability to be developed more broadly in a collective way, that draws upon the diverse views and experiences within the team or organisation.
The benefits in using an executive decision support tool are:
• Helping teams through critical decision points in establishing the strategic direction or within projects being planned or underway;
• Providing more rigor for steering committee members to help uncover issues, confirm priorities, guide decision making and enhance stakeholder engagement;
• Uncovering blind spots to respond effectively to all types of risks including those that are strategic or slow burn;
• Enabling a strong risk-based culture by a more thorough evaluation process of key impacts.
The tool can be used at any level within the organisation to uplift critical thinking capability and to accelerate the development of emerging leaders.
Critical thinking enables leaders to understand the impact of their decisions and helps create alignment and accountability for results.
For more information on the tool, the research or our Critical Thinking Labs please email email@example.com.