With 87% of the perceived value of programs being unrealised when organisations move from strategy to execution, many organisations are looking to ‘do things better’.
Billions of dollars are being invested in projects on a daily basis. The financial and ‘opportunity’ cost to invest in programs of work that fail to deliver on strategic outcomes is a problem that needs solving.
Many of the programs and projects start well, with defined strategic benefits and outcomes that have been agreed to by the executives and key sponsors. Many of the ‘drivers’, objectives and benefits are based on known assumptions at that time.
Over the course of the program however the following questions and concerns get raised:
- Are the drivers for this program still relevant, considering the change occurring within our business and externally?
- Is this program setup for success?
- Do we have the right resources and expertise to meet the objectives set and realise the benefits documented?
- Have we engaged the right stakeholders and are they aligned to this program of work in order for us to succeed?
Given the complexity of organisations and people within those organisations and the rate of change occurring; these questions are all valid and relevant and need to be answered on a regular basis to ensure that the perceived benefits are realised within the timeframe and budget allocated.
How can you ensure Strategic Alignment throughout the project life-cycle?
Janellis has an approach to strategic alignment that seeks to answer these questions at any time in the life-cycle of a program. Our approach builds on investments already made and creates alignment; facilitates consensus and builds confidence for all who have a stake in the program.
The Janellis Strategic Alignment Review (or Project Health Check) is a consultative discovery process with key stakeholders, and includes a review of documentation, one-on-one meetings and workshops, where relevant.
The key questions that we seek to answer through the meetings and documentation review are:
- Strategic Alignment – Does the program still link to strategic objectives of the executive team, and is it being prioritised appropriately within an enterprise project portfolio?
- Stakeholder engagement – Are the key stakeholders engaged in the program at the levels that they need to be. Is there a change management plan that identified all relevant stakeholders?
- Ownership – Have the people and teams responsible for owning the outcomes been identified and are they clear on how they will maintain and sustain the solutions?
- Benefits Realisation – Are the projected benefits still relevant and achievable? How are they being measured, how will they be embedded and who will own that accountability?
- Resources – Does the project have the right people sponsoring, leading and working on the program? Are their roles and deliverables clear and do they have the capability to ensure success?
- Risk Management – Are the real risks of success being identified? Beyond a risk plan and issues log, are risks being communicated, managed and mitigated for the program?
- Governance – Is the governance framework following best practice in terms of management structure, documentation, quality assurance, procurement and requirements gathering?
What will a Strategic Alignment Review provide you?
A Strategic Alignment Review will highlight significant issues that require immediate attention, uncover areas of excellence to be applied more broadly and provide assurance on the areas that do not require further work.
Anyone sponsoring, managing or delivering a project or program of strategic initiatives would benefit in undertaking a review such as this to provide assurance on the likelihood of success, alignment to objectives and meeting executive expectations.
A review will raise awareness of the issues and provide confidence to those working on the project as well as stakeholders including the board, regulators and critical suppliers or clients, where relevant.
How have other businesses used this approach to create Strategic Alignment?
Many of our clients are spending a significant amount of money on project-based activities. Statistics for projects being delivered on time, on budget and delivering the expected benefits indicate that there are still many challenges in this area.
Right now, those responsible for the outcomes and benefits realisation of projects are facing increasing pressure to provide assurance to a range of key stakeholders. By initiating the Janellis Strategic Alignment Review, our clients have generated a level of transparency and clarity that has allowed them to address the issues, highlight the wins and set the project on course for success.
- We have been working in this field for the past 17 years with some of the most complex organisations in Australia and are experts in this niche area of strategic alignment.
- Our unique tools have been widely used and can help accelerate the strategic benefits of any program.
- Our consultants are highly skilled and experienced in all stages of a project life-cycle and can review, lead or support critical initiatives.
For more information on our Strategic Alignment capability, Project Health Checks and our Subject Matter Expertise in this area please follow the links below, call us to request a meeting – email@example.com
- Janellis Strategic Alignment Review (Project Health Checks)
- Project Sponsor Capability Development
- Subject Matter Experts